Wow, the zeldman.com redesign. What a suprise, to come home after a night out, and see the site totally rearranged. An exciting change.
What I like
- The General Concept. I like the large heading, the centered content/sidebar, and the offset tabs.
- Less minimal. He got away from the standard css buttons for nav, and went with something more visually pleasing - the upsidedown tabs.
- Typography. I’m really into the revisitation of typography in the new layout. I like the all caps in the post headings, as used in the new ALA.
- Relative Font Sizes. The fact that zeldman made the plunge sets a good exambple for all of us. I know I’ve always just stuck with pixles, but if zeldman’s going with font size keywords (coupled with the box model hack), there must be something to say for it.
- The Banner. I’m digging that banner. Recomendation: Some rotating images.
What I Don’t Like
- Seperated Nav. I don’t really see the distinction between “daily, dwws, glam, and classics” and “about, contact, externals, and XML.” Yet, they’re seperated into two different nav styles. The first four as tabs, and the second four as the old style of buttons, in the sidebar. I guess the first set is content, and the second set is metadata, but I don’t know that the distinction is strong enough.
- A little rough. Some of the graphics, particularly in the header, seem a little rough around the edges. Then again, it’s starting to grow on me, and I can see that that’s sort of the style. He also said it was a rough draft.
Overall, my few complaints are feeble and I’m only half sure of my opinion on either of them. The redesign is a welcome change.
[12.09.03] New Kicks »
I purchased a new pair of shoes today, from Trickwood in downtown Kirkland (nice location). Berra 3s, black leather with gold trim.... [Skateboarding]
[12.01.03] Manik Skateboards »
Manik Skateboards, a native Seattle board company, has just launched a new site. Coincidentaly, I just purchased a Manik deck after my last setup was stolen (Cindy, you’re my number one suspect). The website is pretty, although the information architecture... [Web Design]
[11.12.03] Kate Farley Landscape Design »
A week or two ago I wrapped up my design project for Kate Farley Landscape Design. I developed this small scale site, incorporating branding from previous design work done for the company, namely a buisness card. I updated the write-up... [Web Design]
[11.03.03] ReUSEIT! »
The guys over at built for the future put the fifty-one entries for the ReUSEIT! Design Challenge on display. You can see my submission down around the middle there. I didn’t put as much work into this as I should... [Web Design]
© Spencer Winters 2003. check that I'm valid and valid. subscribe to my rss. mt.